These are easy, quick, and so adorable. Plus, they’re vegetarian and kid-friendly. Oh, and did we mention they go great with a margarita?
- 1/2 oz fresh Basil
- 1 Loaf good french bread, sliced
- 2-3 large heirloom Tomatoes
- 4 Tbsp. salted butter
- Trim the crusts off French bread, and cut the centers into 1-inch x 1-inch squares.
- Brush bread squares with melted, salted butter and place in one layer on a cookie sheet.
- Toast under the broiler but be careful! These can turn from golden to burnt in seconds, so don’t take your eyes off them.
- Slice tomatoes and fresh mozzarella into 1-inch x 1-inch pieces and sprinkle with salt. Place one slice of mozzarella, one slice of tomato, and a basil leaf on top of half of the squares. Drizzle the open-faced sandwiches with olive oil.
- Top each sandwich with the remaining toasted-bread squares. Stick a toothpick in each sandwich to hold it together, and you’re good to go!