Keep cozy during these final winter months with our Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup. Thick and creamy, this bowl of comfort will become a family favorite in no time.
We cannot keep our hands off this classic combo of rich tomatoes, fresh herbs and hot, melted cheese. Our soup is seriously so delish, you’ll be eating it straight out of the slow cooker! No joke, it’s the soup of your dreams. Don’t believe us? Go ahead and make it for yourself… it’ll live up to the hype.
- ½ Sweet Yellow Onion, chopped
- 5 Tbsp. Salted Butter
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 30 ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
- 30 ounce can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup That’s Tasty Fresh Basil Leaves
- 2 Tbsp. That’s Tasty Fresh Oregano Leaves
- 2 tsp. That’s Tasty Fresh Thyme
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- ¼ tsp. White Pepper
- Start by sautéing half of a sweet yellow onion with one tablespoon of butter. Once browned and caramelized, scrape into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add remaining butter and all other ingredients into the bowl. Stir until combined.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for up to 8 hours.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully blend soup until smooth. Serve immediately with desired toppings.
This Tomato Basil Soup is absolutely fabulous on its own, but if you’re looking for something a little extra… we suggest the following optional toppings.
Cream: A drizzle of warm cream will add an additional layer of richness to the base recipe. Add about a tablespoon of cream per bowl.
Grilled Cheese Croutons: Simply make your favorite grilled cheese recipe and cut it into smaller square “croutons” to dunk into your soup. The ones pictured in this post are made from two slices of rye bread that were slathered in mayo (instead of butter), filled with Monterey Jack cheese and pan fried in butter until golden brown.
Additional Fresh Herbs: We sprinkled ours with more fresh thyme and basil leaves.Printable Version